My husband has been sick with the flu the last few days so it has been soup all round every night. I tried out this new recipe inspired by Margaret Fulton the other day. I’ve had to make some more to get a picture of it because we enjoyed it so much we devoured it right away.
I made changes to the original recipe to suit my own tastes so the recipe as I made it is below:
2 onions, finely sliced
3 leeks, trimmed, washed, then cut into thin slices
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups Chicken stock
3/4 cup white wine
4 tbsp thickened cream
salt and pepper
flat-leaf parsley to garnish
1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium to low heat
2. Add the onions, leek and potatoes. Cover and continue to cook gently until soft and pale golden
3. Add the stock and wine and simmer for 10 minutes
4. Put mixture in blender and puree
5. Place puree back in medium saucepan and simmer
6. Add cream and stir
7. Serve and season with salt and pepper; garnish with parsley.
1. If using home made chicken stock, add 6 cups of chicken stock
2. When I don’t have home made chicken stock on hand, I use the Massel brand of chicken stock cubes as it is my most favourite for flavour and for all those vegans out there, there is no animal content.